Haiti earthquake

Haiti earthquake

Friday, March 5, 2010

Sharing messages of hope

I just finished my day of training - it hard to believe that I have already done 12 training sessions with over 200 people in total. I have been finishing each of my sessions with an activity that I get the participants to do which they can then do with the children in their schools. I give them a piece of paper and ask them to make a picture which expresses their emotions or grief. I have found that when the sharing time starts the men and women really open up and share with us their fears, their sadness, their grief and pain. Some of the drawings are really profound. I have often had tears welling up in my eyes when I hear their stories and their fears about the future. It seems like many people here in the Cap are holding their breath because they expect an earthquake or a tsunami to hit this region of the country. They do not believe the suffering is over and they really are in fear for their lives and their families.

It has been raining here all last night and all day today - but people walked for miles in the train and waited outside to participate in the training session. I am so impressed with their willingness to participate in these sessions. One of the things that is really blessing the participants is that I am giving each of them a few cards and letters that the students in the schools where I work have written. They are so touched by the messages of hope and courage that the children of Laval have written to the children in Haiti. Since school is not in session here I cannot go and deliever the letters to the children myself - so I have asked the teachers and principals to take a few cards to their students. I am hoping that I will receieve some letters and messages in return to share with the students in my schools.

Yesterday I met five little girls who were so sweet. I gave them each a finger puppet and it really made their day. Today they were waiting for me outside the school where we do the training and I was able to give them some crayons and paper. Three hours later they were still there with their pictures for me to take back to my daughters in Canada! They love getting their pictures taken so I have lots of beautiful photos of these dear children.

Tomorrow we have another long day of training sessions then I am told we have a four hour church service on Sunday morning! Should be an adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment