Haiti earthquake

Haiti earthquake

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Why am I going to Haiti?

When people hear that I am going to Haiti for a week there is a mixture of surprise and excitement. I am not a doctor or a nurse, I have no training in disaster relief, I do not work for a relief organization. I am a wife, a mother and a Spiritual Animator. What do I have to offer? I guess my answer to that question is that I can try to offer help and consolation to grieving children and their families. My goal is to help train some teachers and pastors to work alongside children who have gone through tragedy.

In the past few weeks I have seen people respond with such incredible generosity and compassion for the people of Haiti. Everyone can make a difference. Children from my schools were bringing in their piggy banks and donating their allowance money. These children are making a difference. When asked if I could go to Haiti, these children inspired me to try to do something to make a difference.

I am going with a team of counselors, pastors and others (like myself) who have training and experience in accompanying people in the grief process. We will be split into teams of two or three people and we will be providing several one-day training sessions to Haitians. The people who have been setting up our visit told us that the Haitians are anxious to get additional tools and resources to help their friends and family who have lost loved ones. Our little group of grief counselors will try our best to help them. There are several of these seminars already planned for the week we are there, but when we get to Port-au-Prince and Cap Haitian other opportunities for training and counseling will probably open up and hopefully we will be in the position to respond.

I am going for seven days - not very long in light of the despair and need in Haiti at this point. But I cannot go for a longer period of time. My daughters agree that I should go to Haiti, but it will not be easy for us - I know my limits and theirs! I hope and pray that the seven short days will make a small difference in the lives of the people I am in contact with. Haiti will change my life - I need to be ready for that!

This blog is to keep the people I know and love informed of my trip and what I am experiencing. I know I have a privilege that many other people would love to take advantage of. I do not take it lightly that I have been invited to go and that I have this opportunity. For me, this trip is a mission. I believe that God has opened this opportunity for me to go and I need do what I can. I pray that I will be able to make even a small difference and will be able to bring a little hope and comfort to the people, especially the children, of Haiti.

1 comment:

  1. Mom,
    I am so proud of you. I know you'll make an incredible difference in Haiti, and I am so glad to have you as a model and mother. I pray that this experience will change your life and the lives of many other people.
    Love,
    Jess xxx

    ReplyDelete